Friday, October 4, 2013

DAY ONE - I arrive in Abu Dhabi

If you had asked me 16 days ago if I ever envisioned myself in Abu Dhabi, I would have laughed. Yet here I am, sitting in a lovely, furnished apartment in Abu Dhabi, prepared to make this my home for the next 12-18 months.
Doug and I arrived in the evening after sunset, so I don't know what view will greet me tomorrow when I look through my windows. I know it's a hopping neighborhood of high rises and cafes and shops because that much I could see through the car windows. Will the Arabian Gulf be visible in the distance (don't say Persian Gulf - that is not PC in this part of the world)? How far am I from the Corniche, this city's version of the Hoboken or Battery Park City waterfront? Where AM I?
It was a long flight, so tonight I decided all I wanted to accomplish was to unpack. I am a "nester". I am one of those people who, even if they're at a hotel for only a weekend, feels compelled to unpack and fill up the drawers and closets. No living out of a suitcase for me. 
Doug made sure the tv and wifi were up and running, always his first priorities. Then he went out and bought a few supplies: toilet paper, hand soap, some juice and yogurt for breakfast tomorrow. I am making a more extensive list for later this week. When Doug goes to his new office at NYUAD (New York University Abu Dhabi), I'll shop and set up the apartment. I am a Nester. I need my home base. I need a home.  It won't take long, and then I'll be off and exploring in earnest. 
Tonight, though, I am tired. It's been a whirlwind two weeks. Just two weeks to go from Life-as-Usual in Hoboken to halfway around the world in the Middle East. Crazy!

Just a quick disclaimer. I have never blogged before, so the current "look" is rudimentary. I've been fighting with the wifi all evening, so tonight is not the night to play with it and make it look better. That will come later. 

Traveling Business Class is definitely the way to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment